This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by steelerfurypodcast 6 months, 1 week ago.
November 2, 2020 at 6:35 am #42687
The Apocalypse Factory
Plutonium and the Making of the Atomic Age
by Steve Olson
- Format: hardcover, 320 pages
- Publisher: W. W. Norton Company
- Release date: July 28, 2020
- Genres: history, science
- ISBN: 9780393634976 (0393634973)
- Author: Steve Olson
- Language: english
About The Book
A thrilling narrative of scientific triumph—and the unimaginable, world-ending peril it brought us.
Fearing that the Germans would be the first to weaponize the atom, the United States marshaled brilliant minds and seemingly inexhaustible bodies to find a way to create a nuclear chain reaction with unimaginable explosive power.
It would begin with plutonium, the first element ever manufactured by humans. In a matter of months, a city designed to produce this dangerous material arose from the desert of eastern Washington State. Plutonium powered the bomb that dropped on Nagasaki on August 9, 1945 (a target selected in almost arbitrary fashion). And the work of Glenn Seaborg, Enrico Fermi, and hundreds of thousands of others—the physicists, engineers, laborers, and support staff of the Hanford Nuclear Facility—would remain the basis of the entire US nuclear arsenal during the Cold War and into the present.
With his characteristic blend of scientific clarity and human stories, Steve Olson offers this dramatic story of human achievement—and hubris—to a new generation.
FictionBook book The Apocalypse Factory read online PC. EPUB The Apocalypse Factory by Steve Olson buy on Kobo. PDF ebook The Apocalypse Factory Steve Olson for Kindle on Audible.
TXT ebook The Apocalypse Factory download. MP3 book The Apocalypse Factory Steve Olson. Hardcover The Apocalypse Factory buy cheap on iPad on Barnes & Noble.
MOBI book The Apocalypse Factory read on Android. Online ebook The Apocalypse Factory by Steve Olson download on Dymocks. Hardback The Apocalypse Factory download.
November 2, 2020 at 10:13 am #42689
- Arifureta: From Commonplace to World’s Strongest ZERO (Light Novel) Vol. 3 by Ryo Shirakome • 9781645054610
- Think and Grow Rich: The Complete Original Edition Plus Bonus Material by Napoleon Hill • 9781250215345
- Everything I Need to Know I Learned in the Twilight Zone: A Fifth-Dimension Guide to Life by Mark Dawidziak • 9781250621504
- Instructions for a Funeral: Stories by David Means • 9781250251114
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas • 9781250250469