Steelers 2019 Roster Cutdowns

Home Forums SteelerFury Refugees Board Steelers 2019 Roster Cutdowns

This topic contains 29 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ice 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

SteelerDayTrader

TE/LS Trevor Wood
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    S Marcelis Branch

• #35792 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

DL Casey Sayles

• #35796 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

T Derwin Gray

• #35798 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

Jhavonte Dean

• #35799 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

LB Jay Elliott

CB Jhavonte Dean
    T Derwin Gray
    DL Casey Sayles
    TE/LS Trevor Wood
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    S Marcelis Branch

• #35800 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

WR Brandon Riley

LB Jay Elliott
    CB Jhavonte Dean
    T Derwin Gray
    DL Casey Sayles
    TE/LS Trevor Wood
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    S Marcelis Branch

• #35802 Reply

Lynch

I wonder how pissed KC will be after Switzer makes the roster?

• #35804 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

I wonder how pissed KC will be after Switzer makes the roster?

He wont be the only one. Spencer and Holton are both CLEARLY BETTER than 2-yds-and-a-cloud-of-ice-cream boy on both offense and STs and its not even close.

• #35812 Reply

TB

Jerald Hawkins was traded to the Bucs.

Steelers and Bucs swapping late round picks in the 2021 draft.

• #35813 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

OLB Sutton Smith

WR Brandon Riley
    LB Jay Elliott
    CB Jhavonte Dean
    T Derwin Gray
    DL Casey Sayles
    TE/LS Trevor Wood
    DL Henry Mondeaux
    S Marcelis Branch

• #35814 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

Jerald Hawkins was traded to the Bucs.

Steelers and Bucs swapping late round picks in the 2021 draft.

Bucs get Hawkins and Steelers 7th
    Steelers get Bucs 6th

• #35901 Reply

Ice

Gotta think it’s IR for either Chick or Ola, opening up for a 6th WR.

• #35815 Reply

TB

Pretty good deal for a guy who was going to be cut. That could be a pretty high sixth.

• #35816 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

Pretty good deal for a guy who was going to be cut. That could be a pretty high sixth.

I agree

• #35818 Reply

Lynch

Looks like they cut Clank Spencer.

• #35820 Reply

TB

Skipper and UG3 both make it.

Steelers cut Rogers and Holton, only keeping 5 WRs.

• #35826 Reply

Thrillsseeker

I would of cut chick for Sutton and Ice cream boy for Spencer.

• #35822 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

Skipper and UG3 both make it.

Steelers cut Rogers and Holton, only keeping 5 WRs.

J !!! F !!! C !!!!

ONLY THE FUCKING STEELERS !!!! DAMN !!!!

I bet we are the only team in the nfl with 5WRs !!!! and they keep fucking shitzer…..W !!!! T !!! F !!!

• #35828 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

Official press release:

With the excitement of the regular season approaching comes the reality that the 53-man roster needs to be set, and that meant a lot of roster moves for the Steelers.

The team made all of the moves official on Saturday, ahead of the 4 p.m. deadline.

Among the cuts are two 2019 draft picks, sixth rounder Sutton Smith and seventh rounder Derwin Grey, as well as Marcus Allen, a fifth-round pick in 2018. The team also released veteran receiver Eli Rogers.

On offense the team released quarterback Devlin Hodges, running backs Trey Edmunds, Travon McMillian and Malik Williams, receivers Trey Griffey, Johnny Holton, Tevin Jones, Brandon Reilly, Eli Rogers and Diontae Spencer, and tight ends Micky Crum, Kevin Rader, Christian Scotland-Williamson and Trevor Wood. On the offensive line Garrett Brumfield, Derwin Gray, J.C. Hassanauer, Patrick Morris and Damian Prince were released.

Defensively the team let go of defensive backs Marcus Allen, Dravon Askew-Henry, Marcelis Branch, Jhvonte Dean, P.J. Locke and Trevon Mathis, linebackers Jayrone Elliott, Christian Kuntz, Tegray Scales, Sutton Smith and Robert Spillane, and defensive linemen Winston Craig, Greg Gilmore, Henry Mondeaux, Casey Sayles and Conor Sheehy.

In the battle for kicker and punter, the incumbents won out, with Matthew Wright and Ian Berryman both being released.

Earlier in the day the team traded offensive lineman Jerald Hawkins to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Steelers also gave Tampa a seventh-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, and got Tampa’s sixth-round pick in 2021 in return.

• #35833 Reply

LakecrestSteeler

Not one wide receiver with a jersey number above 20….that has to be a first. Not sure what it means, but we will find out.

I think they should have kept 6, but I suppose all the receivers they looked at will be available in some form or fashion if injury occurs.

Sometimes it isn’t all about talent. Heart trumps talent and is more valuable for a Super Bowl drive in some cases…execution and professionalism trumps talent in some/many cases too.

I suspect that is what we have in some of the keeps and a little better the devil you do than don’t know.

We can win a Super Bowl with this roster; it won’t be the roster if we don’t get to the SB, I guarantee it.

1. Avoid injuries.
    2. Bush is top 5 in rookie of the year votes.
    3. Top 10 in takeaways.
    4. Improved coaching on challenges and clock management.
    5. Boswell performs close to 2017.
    6. A little Lady Luck.

We win the Super Bowl.

• #35836 Reply

SteelerDayTrader

3 !!!!! HUGE WTF ARE THEY DOING ON THE ROSTER TYPES like Red Shitzer and Chickillo …..WILL….. cost us games. Minus the kicker/punter…..those 3 slaggards are 30% of your ST units. Think about that. Not good. Particularly given we had much better options.

This kinda BS goes beyond Tomlin/Cowher. Happens EVERY year. For decades.

• #35838 Reply

Lynch

I wish they woulda cut Dobbs and kept Hodges.

• #35839 Reply

Lynch

They’re looking to get Matakevich locked up long term from what I’ve heard.

• #35843 Reply

LakecrestSteeler

3 !!!!! HUGE WTF ARE THEY DOING ON THE ROSTER TYPES like Red Shitzer and Chickillo …..WILL….. cost us games. Minus the kicker/punter…..those 3 slaggards are 30% of your ST units. Think about that. Not good. Particularly given we had much better options.

This kinda BS goes beyond Tomlin/Cowher. Happens EVERY year. For decades.

They won’t lose us any games. You can’t go exchanging every prospect every year. Too much day trading philosophy in your quote. Sometimes you have to play the long game. You will have busts, but more times than not you will develop professional football players that know your system inside and out and can contribute, lead, teach and help coach the new talent on the field.

Again, we can win the Super Bowl with this roster. I am not saying we will, but it won’t be a roster devoid of talent that prevents us from getting a Lombardi.

• #35844 Reply

Wil Masisak

I think they cut some really good WRs. Spencer, Holton, and Jones were all outstanding STers. Reilly is a guy I’d like to see on practice squad. Showed a lot in a short time.

Apparently the WR roster was set in concrete from day one, which seems kind of silly to me. I think 4 of those guys are really good, but I would have liked to add some speed.

• #35846 Reply

Lynch

Agreed on 4 being good. Moncrief kinda sucks.

• #35859 Reply

admin
    Keymaster

Moncrief in PIT is boom or bust in my opinion. It’s good that they have guys to rotate in/out… even better if Holton gets re-signed to the 53 as rumored.

• #35870 Reply

TW

Hope you’re right on Holton, was hoping he and Hodges made it.
      Sure Hodges didn’t do shit against Carolina, but I thought the oline he played with was awful. Despite that every throw he made was placed only where the receiver had a chance at the ball.

• #35886 Reply

Joanthan Briciker
    Participant

Diontae Spencer claimed by Broncos from waivers

• #35898 Reply

Wil Masisak

Good for Spencer. They have been actively seeking a returner and they’ll likely use him to receive a few Flacco DPI moonballs, as well.

Reply To: Steelers 2019 Roster Cutdowns
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar